A-7 Corsair II 1680 x 1050 Widescreen Wallpaper

I was recently digging around some of the archives and found this beauty. It's a shot of the A-7 Corsair II. I'd like to say that I know what variant it is, but I don't. It's probably an A-7E but who knows?

Anyone remember the acronym for this little, under-powered jet?

SLUF: Short Little Ugly F----R

The A-7D version (for the USAF) had the distinction of being the only aircraft to ever make my eyes tear-up from the nearly toxic jet engine exhaust. Trust me, you never wanted to be stuck behind a bunch of these aircraft on the flightline.

When I was at Nellis during the 80's, there were a bunch of A-7s stationed there to train the F-117 pilots out at Never-Never Land (Area 51). Most of us knew they were a ruse, but we didn't know what for until the F-117 was declassified.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, nice shot. This aircraft is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete